Here it is another recipe for bánh bò nương (Vietnamese honeycomb cake). Unlike the other recipe, this one is eggless, takes a bit longer and is a little more completed to make. I have to admit, prefer the other recipe over this one….the other one has a richer texture due to the eggs.

Ingredients:

-300g rice flour
-100g tapioca starch
-300g warm water
-1 tsp yeast
-300g + 1 tsp sugar
-300g coconut milk/cream
-1 tsp baking powder (single acting)

What to Do:
Dissolve yeast in water along with 1 tsp sugar. Mix together flours and add yeast mixture, mix well. Prove for 1 hour. Meanwhile, boil together 300g sugar with coconut milk and cool to room temperature. After 1 hour knead in baking powder and then coconut milk mixture. Prove for another hour or until bubbles rise to the surface of the batter. Bake at 350’F for 30-45 mins or until golden.

Comments (17)

On 10:26 PM , Anonymous said...

This is a good link you can put on your website:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/convert/measurements.html

and it has a conversion calculator at the end of the page.

 
On 11:33 PM , hoangtam/tt said...

thanks

 
On 12:52 AM , FooDcrazEE said...

looks like Malaysian honeycomb cake...only its green and Malaysian is brown from the brown sugar ( palm sugar ) never had this during my stint in HCMC...

 
On 10:17 AM , hoangtam/tt said...

how long did you stay in Saigon?

 
On 12:25 AM , FooDcrazEE said...

about 3 1/2 yrs...from Dec 1994 - Apr 1998.

 
On 1:49 PM , Anonymous said...

Do you have a link section because I don't see it?

 
On 8:14 PM , hoangtam/tt said...

link to what?

 
On 8:07 AM , Anonymous said...

I made this yesterday but my cake didn't get the honeycombs like yours. They were smaller and compact. I guess I might have underbaked it as the batter was still liquid in the middle. Am i right?

 
On 7:56 PM , Anonymous said...

Hello,

Is it possible to convert this recipe into cup measurements?

 
On 10:17 PM , hoangtam/tt said...

yes, but it won't be very accurate. The key to a successful outcome is to measure everything accurately (by weight).

 
On 11:29 PM , Anonymous said...

I have pandan extract, how much do I put?

 
On 8:43 PM , Anonymous said...

Do you add green food coloring so the inside will turn green?

 
On 5:13 PM , nicole said...

can you use glutinous rice flour, or must you use ordinary rice flour? Thanks.

 
On 11:36 PM , hoangtam/tt said...

nicole,

you have to use ordinary rice flour, glutinous rice flour won't do. Have fun!

 
On 10:36 PM , HL said...

I wonder if you still replying XD
I've using your recipe for the one with egg, and had succeed many times.
I'm trying the one with no egg today,
I have one question, what kind of yeast are you using? Is it possible to have some picture of the one you're using?
Thanks!

 
On 6:23 AM , DianShan said...

Hi,

Can I replace ordinary rice flour with plain flour?

Also, what size baking pan should I use? Round or square

 
On 1:22 AM , hoangtam/tt said...

I use redstar dried bread yeast.

DianShan,

rice flour and plain flour are not interchangeable.