For the rolls:
-1 jicama (about 2lbs)
-3 carrots
-1/2 cup dried shrimp
-4 Chinese sausages (lap cheong)
-1/3 cup roasted peanuts (optional)
-3 eggs
-basil
-Vietnamese rice paper (bánh tráng)

*Steam and slice sausages into thin, long pieces. Beat eggs and cook using a nonstick pan to make thin sheets, cut sheets into long strips. Soak dried shimp in water until soft. Crush the peanuts and stir fry with dried shrimp. Julienne jicama and carrots, stir fry with alittle oil and dried shrimp water until cooked. Drain and reserve ‘juices’ to make dipping sauce. Wet a piece of rice paper and sprinkle some peanuts and dried shrimp. Lay a few strips of egg and sausage on top, followed by basil and then jicama and carrots. Roll up and serve with dipping sauce (recipe follows).

Dipping Sauce:
-1/4 cup hoisin sauce
-1 tbs peanut butter
-‘juices’ from dried shrimp and stir fried jicama
-water (if needed)
-sugar, salt

*Mix everything together over medium heat until mixture boils. Sweet and salty should be even, sauce should not be to thick (add more water if needed).

Comments (4)

On 12:49 AM , Anonymous said...

sylvia from singapore here. what is jicaman in the spring roll recipes. pls advise. I wanted to try to make this spring roll.

 
On 8:29 PM , hoangtam/tt said...

Hi Sylvia,

jicama is a root veg. that is round with brown skin. It has a crispy, juicy texture with a slightly sweet taste. You can google "jicama" for a pic.

*TT

 
On 11:07 AM , Anonymous said...

TT,
I was lookking for Banh Bo Nuong and I came across your web site. Read your recipes and comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recipes with us and responding to us all.
I would like to know if you can tell me how to make the yellow dipping sauce for nem nuong roll. I ate that when I was in TX and I love that sauce. Unlike in NY, the dipping sauce is a brown color. I heard that people put liver, egg, peanut sauce, etc...but I'm not sure how the sauce is yellow.

 
On 1:48 AM , hoangtam/tt said...

The sauce for nem nuong is usually brown. If it is yellow then it's probably the restaurant’s secret recipe/unique style....I've never had it before so can't figure out the recipe. Sorry. If you think they put liver, eggs, peanut sauce in it then by all means...experiment, play with your food. I'm sure you could figure out the recipe yourself....