Ingredients:
-300g rice flour
-3 tsp double acting baking powder
-2 tsp yeast + 3 tbs warm water
-250g coconut milk
-150g sugar
-250g sweet potato (can also use taro)
-1 egg (approximately 50g)

**Steam and mash potato, dissolve yeast in water. Put everything in a mixing bowl and beat with a cake mixer until smooth. Prove for 1 hour or until double in volume. Give the batter a quick stir and steam over high heat for 10-15mins.

Note:
FYI, don’t be surprised if the batter turns out very thick….its supposed to be thick.

Comments (4)

On 5:53 PM , Anonymous said...

Thank you tt for providing photos that show me what I am looking for. I cannot have wheat and every Sunday, I go to a local asian market and splurge on rice flour pastries, but would like to have them during the week. The Banh Bo and Honeycomb cakes are what I love as well as Husband Killers, which I made once in college with a malaysian roomate's help -- his auntie made them so much he had the recipe memorized. Tomorrow, I will start a stockpile of tapioca starch, glutinous rice flour, single-acting baking powder and will begin a baking spree. I hope my husband's office is up for this!

 
On 12:25 AM , Anonymous said...

I try this recipe and it turns out very good. However, there is a yeast smell to the cake. Is there a different way to make this cake?
What yeast to use?
Author or anyone please reply, I would appreciate it.
Thank you.

 
On 12:30 PM , hoangtam/tt said...

there's nothing you can do about the yeast and the cake is supposed to have a yeasty taste.

 
On 8:04 PM , SweetChocoGirl said...

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!
i made some bánh bò khoai lang today! I baked half and steamed the other half, just curious what they will be like. They turned out to be beautiful and delicious! My brother liked it less sweet so i only added half the amount of sugar. It had a nice mildly sweet taste.
I love your website! I've been waiting a long time for this summer to try out your recipes. They all look so good, i don't know where to start. I'm looking forward to learning from you~ :D