Bánh Ít is the general name for “pastries” that are made with glutinous rice flour and boiled or steamed. Usually bánh ít are wrapped with banana leaves, however this type of bánh ít is not, hence gives it the name bánh ít trần as “Trần” means naked. The filling varies from different regions of Vietnam. The following recipe is for southern style Bánh Ít Trần.

Ingredients:
-1/2lb glutinous rice flour (1/2 package)
-1/4lb each: prawns, ground pork
-50g mung beans (peeled and split)
-1 tsp fish sauce
-1/2 tsp pepper
-2 green onions
-2 cloves garlic
-1 tbs oil
-3 tbs fried shallots
-pinch of sugar
-water

What to Do:
Rinse, soak, cook and mash mung beans. Peel, and crush shrimp, mix with pork. Chop onions and garlic. Stir fry onions and garlic until fragrant, add shrimp, pork and seasonings. Stir fry until cooked and thick. Mix flour with warm water to form a soft dough. Take a piece of dough, flatten and wrap filling. Boil the rice balls until they float to the surface; continue to boil for 10 more mins. Serve with onion oil, ground shrimp powder and fish sauce.

Comments (8)

On 2:05 PM , Anonymous said...

Hello tt! I have tagged you on the following topic: Meme - You Are What You Eat. Check out my link: http://linnish.blogspot.com/2005/12/meme-you-are-what-you-eat.html

 
On 6:16 AM , Fonia said...

Hmmm... They looks great and I love stuff make of glutinous rich flour. Will try this out! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe.

Happy New Year to you & you family!

 
On 10:18 AM , Anonymous said...

Hi tt,

What do I do with the mashed mung beans?

 
On 8:41 PM , BuddingCook said...

tt - i want to make this soon. how much water do you put in?

 
On 11:40 PM , hoangtam/tt said...

add enough water to form a soft dough. This is what I mean by savory dishes are forgiving...you don't need an exact recipe.

 
On 11:46 AM , K3lly said...

Wow..this recipe is wonderful. I just finish making this banh. It seems so simple, but it actually took me a couple of hours to make this recipe. I'm exhausted now...I enjoy this yummy banh it tran. Thanks tt. =)

 
On 9:47 AM , Issi said...

Hi tt,

Can I use this recipe for Banh Qui, with coconut mung bean stuffing? I hope that is what it is called. I told my mom I would make this banh qui for her but couldn't find the recipe for it. If you have one, can you please let me know. PS. I really love your website because you can do almost everything. You are the VN Martha Stewart.
Issi

 
On 10:28 PM , hoangtam/tt said...

yeah... you can modify this recipe to make banh qui. Just keep in mind, banh qui is steamed.